Ashley’s Home Center, a division of Ogdensburg Building Supply, Inc., founded by John “Jack” J. Ashley, Sr. and his father Joseph A. Ashley along with his brother John W. Ashley and was incorporated on June 1st of 1954, after the purchase o6f Procter Lumber, from Roy S. & Elizabeth W. Billings.
The original three founders have all passed away and John J. Ashley, Jr. has been operating the business since January of 1983. John started working in the store on East River Street at the age of 12 in 1973.
The store moved to its present location, 7596 State Highway 68 in Ogdensburg, NY in June of 1982 after the showroom was destroyed by fire in December of 1981. John’s son Michael joined the family business in April of 2014 and is working on learning the business.
The modest business that was founded in 1954 has grown over the years. In the 1970’s it opened and started Triple A Lumber, Inc., which has been spun off and is now being run by John’s brother Robert J. Ashley at the present time.
The Ogdensburg store has expanded over the years as a full service Retail Home Center which has in stock over 20,000 items. In 2014 a rental business was added with an expanding line of rental tools which is growing larger every day.